• IRA Rollover
  • Impact our future through planned giving

    Impact our future through planned giving

    • Touch the lives of others while creating a lasting legacy
    • Find peace of mind through a wide variety of tax benefits
    • Help the University of Michigan achieve its goals for current and future generations
Text Resize

A Way to Give and Receive

IRA charitable rollover flowchart

What is a Charitable Gift Annuity?

A charitable gift annuity (CGA) is a contract between you and the University of Michigan.

  • You transfer cash or appreciated marketable securities to U-M.
  • In exchange, U-M signs an annuity contract and agrees to make fixed annual payments for the life of one or two individuals. The annual payments can be quite high relative to current income producing assets depending on the age of the beneficiaries. In addition, a portion of the annual payments will most likely be tax free.
  • You will receive a charitable income tax deduction for the gift portion of the annuity.
  • You will be supporting the University of Michigan.

What is a Charitable Remainder Trust?

A Way to Give and Receive

A charitable remainder trust (CRT) is an irrevocable trust typically funded with highly appreciated property.

  • You transfer cash or other assets to fund a charitable remainder unitrust.
  • In the case of a trust funded with appreciated assets, the trust will sell the assets without you immediately recognizing the capital gain.
  • The trust is invested to pay income to you or any other trust beneficiaries you select based on a life, lives, a term of up to 20 years or a life plus a term of up to 20 years.
  • The payment amount may vary with the trust's performance or be fixed similar to a charitable gift annuity.
  • You receive an income tax deduction for the remainder portion of your gift to Michigan. If the trust is funded with appreciated assets held more than one year, your charitable deduction will be based upon the fair market value on the date of funding rather than your cost.
  • U-M benefits from what remains in the trust after all trust payments have been made.
  • Michigan may serve as trustee of a charitable remainder trust if certain requirements are met. Contact us for more details.

The University of Michigan has 501(c)(3) non-profit tax exempt status; our federal tax ID number is 38-6006309.

Copyright © 2019 Regents of the University of Michigan
The University of Michigan Office of Development, 3003 South State Street, Suite 9000, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1288

© 2019 Crescendo Interactive, Inc. PRIVACY STATEMENT
This site is informational and educational in nature. It is not offering professional tax, legal, or accounting advice.
For specific advice about the effect of any planning concept on your tax or financial situation or with your estate, please consult a qualified professional advisor.